The world of oral care is taking a new shape with the availability of electric toothbrushes, which are more efficient compared to the traditional manual ones. The efficacy of the new toothbrushes is that they do most of the work, unlike manual toothbrushes whereby you do the entire brushing job. Electric toothbrushes come in two types; those that oscillate or rotate and those that vibrate. Those with rotating brush heads oscillate from one tooth to the other, while vibrating ones offer similar brushing experience just like the manual toothbrushes.
Sonic brushes are types of electric toothbrushes, but with advanced vibrating power. They usually produce a buzzing sound, and can vibrate up to even 48,000 motions per minute. More advanced ones are known as ultra sonic, and they don’t produce any audible buzz. These can vibrate more than 2 million motions per minute. According to experts, sonic toothbrushes are more efficient because they can reach areas where other brushes cannot. They have power to splash water and toothpaste through speedy vibrations, hence resulting to cleaner experience in the mouth.
Even though electric toothbrushes are experiencing gush in popularity over the years, a few people might be facing challenges when it comes to purchasing process. For those that have not yet bought electric brushes, here are the tips to help you throughout the buying cycle.
Either rechargeable or battery powered toothbrush
Electric toothbrushes come in two categories in terms of power usage; rechargeable and battery powered. The former is connected to electricity mains supply, while the latter use AA batteries as the source of power. Rechargeable models have high initial cost, but users probably can save money in the long run. Battery powered versions are usually cheaper to buy, but you will need to replace batteries often.
Cost based on your budget
Electric toothbrushes come with different prices, from a few dollars to hundreds of dollars. The choice may depend on your budget, but you will always get what suits you. Whether you need a rechargeable or battery powered, there are those with replaceable heads. Therefore, more users can share the body if every person has his or her own head. It is one of the ways to reduce cost of buying more bodies, hence saving money with just a single investment.
Most people see buying electric toothbrushes as a nice investment. However, you also need to choose an ideal head with high quality bristles. Some folks prefer relatively stiffer bristles, while others choose softer ones. If you buy a body to be shared by several users, ensure everyone has his or her suitable head size. For children, they require smaller and soft heads while adults may need bigger heads. Another very important factor to consider is changing your head after every three to six months, since this is highly recommended by dentists for a healthy life style.
Electric toothbrush for kids
In order to motivate your kids to brush their teeth regularly, it is advisable to choose attractive color designs and soft bristles. However, the motion control should be effective such that the kids don’t find it difficult while brushing their teeth. Choose models that offer higher user experience by performing most of the brushing task.
Features to Look for While Buying Electric Toothbrush
- An ideal electric toothbrush should have a charge indicator light to tell you when you need to recharge. If it is battery powered, it should indicate when the batteries are running low so that you can purchase another pack in advance.
- The recommended brushing time is two minutes, and the electric brush has a timer to tell you if you exceed this time. The timer also informs the user when to move the brush from one part of the mouth to another.
- Applying too much pressure can damage your gums, and that is why the brush should have pressure sensor to tell you when movement action and pressure is too high.
- If the toothbrush comes with several different heads, you can choose the head suitable for cleaning the tongue, or that can reach far end part of your mouth.
- Lastly, the bristles should turn into white when used for a longer time, and this indicates you need to change the head. Also, ensure you buy a toothbrush with replaceable head. This will save you the cost of buying the entire piece.